Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pasta Fagioli


 Copyright pending

Morristown, even though it is the county seat is not a big town.  I think it is approx. 2.6 miles in circumference.  Almost everyone in our big Italian family lived there.  My mother’s sister, Zizi Rosie, Zizi (pronounced sids-zee) means Aunt in Italian, and her husband Ben Abato lived right around the corner from us.  The Morristown High School field separated the block between our homes and I would cut through it to get to their house.  In the summer months when I was out riding my bike or going swimming in the town pool I would stop by their house to see what was cooking, literally.  My Zizi and Uncle Ben were both good cooks. They shared the kitchen, cooking together many times.   My Uncle Ben had a reputation for picking wild mushrooms in fields around Morristown and turning them into yummy dishes.  (I will go into that story more later).

As I mentioned I would stop by to see what was cooking and if they were having something for dinner I liked I would stay there for dinner.  I dare say sometimes I ate with them and then went home and ate dinner again with my family.  My Uncle Ben made the best Pasta Fagioli  I have ever tasted.  It was thick and creamy busting with flavor. It was comfort food at its best and when you put lots of parmesan cheese on it you were in heaven.  Friday night was the night for Pasta Fagioli along with sautéed filet of sole and of course bread and salad. 
  During the summer months there was always a pretty cut glass pitcher in their fridge with wine and slices of fresh peaches soaking in it.  My Uncle Ben would have that for desert.   He grew up drinking wine.  He was raised in Italy where I have been told even the kids drink wine as if it is water.  He also made his own wine in the basement of their house.  I can remember him having a jug of wine under his chair as we ate dinner and he would fill his glass from time to time.  I loved my Uncle Bennie, he was a very nice man. He always seem happy joking with us kids and teasing us.  Maybe it was all the wine he drank that made him so happy.  Talking about him makes me miss him.  He passed about 8 years ago, I think he was 96. 
Unfortunately, I don’t have my Uncle Ben’s Pasta Fagioli recipe.  But I have my own that I developed over the years.  Pasta Fagioli means Pasta and Beans.  And so here it is.  It is also a good recipe for Vegetarians, which my son Scott is now, but everyone will love it.
Pasta e Fagioli

1 pound of  tuplini  pasta, I am not sure I am spelling it correctly but you can see it in the picture
¼ pound pancetta or 4 slices thick bacon (omit this ingredient for vegetarian recipe)
   2 Tbsp. olive oil

2 ribs celery from the heart with leafy tops, chopped
1 onion peeled and chopped
  3 large cloves finely chopped garlic
 
1 fresh bay leaf
Freshly ground black pepper and Kosher salt to taste
  1 15 ounce can of small white beans “Goya” brand is best or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup dry white wine or chicken broth
2 tbsp. flour
1 small can tomato paste
  1 ½ cups grated parmesan cheese

If using the pancetta or bacon dice into ¼ inches. You can do this while the pasta is cooking, only cook pasta to al dente level.  Heat olive oil over medium high heat.  Add pancetta or bacon and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or omit this step for vegetarian recipe and instead add the celery, onions, garlic, bay leaf and salt and pepper into oil and sauté until tender.  Add beans and heat for 2 minutes.  Stir in ½ cup of wine or chicken broth and simmer for 1 minute then Wisk in the flour and tomato paste and continue to cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the sauce has slightly thickened. While the sauce is cooking drain the pasta and return it to pot.  Reserve a cup of pasta water.  In case the sauce gets to thick it can be added to thin out. Toss in the bean and sauce mixture. Add half of the parmesan cheese. Pour in to a serving bowl or plater and top with remaining cheese. Serve immediately.

This is too good not to try!!!  I might just have to go to the market and buy the ingredients and make it tonight.  Yesterday when I was in our Super Walmart  I noticed that they actually had pancetta in a container already chopped. That makes things a lot easier.  Whenever I can take short cuts I do, the easier the better.  They also have the garlic and onions already chopped as well.  Although I have to admit I love chopping garlic and even like the smell of it on my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment